We need to be vigilant and prevent our dogs from coming into contact with poisonous chemicals, contaminated food, and toxic plants. Even household cleaning products such as bleaches and detergents can be toxic. Insecticides, fertilizers, rat, and rodent poisons are highly toxic to dogs and in some cases can cause death.
Holiday Poison Hazards
Here are a few things that can be found around your home during the holidays that can be toxic or even fatal to your pets: chocolate, cakes, candy, alcohol, tinsel, potpourri, holly berries, ivy, mistletoe, chemical tree life extenders, anti freeze solutions, pine needles and sap.
List of Plants that are Toxic for Dogs
Lots of us enjoy gardening and owning a dog. Do a check of your garden. This is a list of some of the toxic plants to dogs which you should keep away from your dog.
Save time and money by ordering dog medications from Amazon dog medications
Certain Foods – Great For Humans, Poison For Dogs
Keep your pet safe from bacterial food poisoning by feeding your dog fresh food. Just like we wouldn’t eat anything past it’s expiration date, we shouldn’t feed it to our dogs either.
Some mushrooms are poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If they grow on your lawn, the safest option is to remove them altogether.
Tea and coffee which contains caffeine should never be given to your dog as it can affect the central nervous system and increase urination.
Additionally, some of the food we enjoy can be toxic to our dogs. Did you know one of our favorite foods, chocolate, contains theobromine and is toxic to dogs and could cause muscle twitching, hyperactivity, seizures and even death. You could be killing your dog with kindness!
Update: Here is a list of 26 Foods That Could Kill Your Pets!
What to do in an Emergency
Always keep the emergency telephone number of your Veterinary Surgery somewhere handy. We keep numbers of Emergency Services on the fridge door and in our mobile phones just in case. It is one less thing to have to think of in a stressful situation.
Give the following information:
- Your name and phone number
- Name and breed of your dog
- Explain what your dog has ingested, if known, and how much
- How much time has elapsed
- Explain the symptoms your dog is showing
If your dog has vomited, take a sample to the vet. Every piece of information may save the life of your dog. Even if you don’t know what has poisoned your dog your vet should be able provide treatment.
Lastly take a good look around your home and garden. Ensure your home and garden is dog friendly and that offending items are locked away out of harms way.
This post was reprinted with permission from http://www.dogsgossip.com
Did you find this post useful? Please click on the buttons below to share with your friends!